Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 51 Nothing but excuses

Didn't do much of anything today. Found a way to avoid writing by doing a bunch of unnecessary research for my novel. Ended up nose deep in World Health Organization statistics and discovered it's a great time way to spend three hours..

I didn't even go for my usual walk to Calimera. Too cool, I told myself, although it's was sunny. The temperature didn't stop my housemate, Barbara, from taking her walk to and from Martano, which is 5 k each way. She's a beast for trekking.

I toyed with the idea of doing a little yoga, but I found a way to get out of that too. I figure sometimes (not too often) when you're resistance is that strong against doing something, it's just better to give in. (That's my zen excuse and I will not budge from that position.)

We're going out to celebrate three birthdays tonight someplace Paola called "the countryside." A small place, she said, not too far.  If I could look forward to eating the way I eat here every night for the rest of my life, I would die contented.  Frances just had a birthday, Shay's is coming up and Mario, a painter friend we met recently. will also celebrates his. 

For those of you who know my pathetic drinking habits at home, I would like to report I'm up to drinking a full glass of vino with dinner. I've even been know to slurp a little amaro (digestivo) after la cena.

I love the life here.... a domani, ragazze et ragazzi.


Ten of us had a truly memorable dinner at a restaurant on a country road just outside Lizzanello, Puglia

Paola, who runs the residence where I live, and Mario an artist friend from Lecce

Housemate Barbara and a Uccio, a cousin of Paola's



The meal at this countryside restaurant was fabulous, ample and inexpensive: 18 Euros each

No comments:

Post a Comment